Grainy Fonts After Upgrade to Jessie

Good day,

The department's server was recently upgraded by the administrator to Debian 8 and the fonts shown on webpages and graphical plots in R both had grainy text and were of a different font to what was before. I followed the advice at http://www.straightrunning.com/xmingnotes/fonts.php#head-11 and that solved the problem about the webpages I was viewing in Firefox, but the R plots still have fonts that are not anti-aliased. I connect from Windows using Xming. The server administrator doesn't know how to fix the problem, so I was hoping someone else could suggest a solution.

There are other graphics-related issues, which imply that the upgrade wasn't entirely successful. For example,

~$ /usr/bin/rstudio &
[1] 26612
~$ libGL error: failed to open drm device: No such file or directory
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
"Error: state doesn't exist"

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, when I upgraded a desktop PC running Ubuntu. I never properly solved the problem - I just moved my work files to another computer and did the analysis on it - but when I upgraded Ubuntu again a few months later, the nice anti-aliased fonts returned automatically.

Dario Strbenac
PhD Student
University of Sydney
Camperdown NSW 2050