Re: Xorg replaces TTY1

On Sun 22 Nov 2015 at 19:00:36 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

> >> That requires specifying it by hand every time startx is run. As I
> >> indicated, that is unacceptable; I don't have to specify the VT
> >> manually every time I lanch X now in order to get the current
> >> behavior, and I shouldn't have to specify it manually at every
> >> launch in order get that behavior after a change of the default.
> >>
> >> Where/how would it be possible to specify this in a config file, so
> >> that it can be set-and-forget if desired?
> >
> > In .bashrc (if using bash)
> >
> > alias startx="startx -- vt7"
>
> While that would technically work, it's a bit of a kludge, and I'm not
> fond of those. Perhaps I should have specified an _X-related_ config
> file (by a definition in which xinit, including startx, qualifies as
> being X-related).

Passing arguments to startx is X-related. It's the first time I've heard
using a bash alias described as a "kludge".

> (Sorry if this looks like moving the goalposts - that's not my
> intention, I'm just trying to clarify what I was originally asking for.)

Quoting:

  There are 2 reasons for this change:

  1) It is needed to make Xorg run without root rights
  2) The old behavior creates a new session-id (as returned by getsid()),
     without registering it with PAM, this breaks session managers such
     as systemd-logind.

   https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/23004/