Re: Debian rescue CD oddities

On 21/11/15 08:18, Ross Boylan wrote:
After booting the Debian 8.2 netinst iso I noticed a couple of oddities.

First, I selected advanced and rescue, but this seemed to end up walking
me through the installer.  I was expecting to be dropped into a shell.
At the screen that asked for system name I switched virtual terminals.

In my experience, "rescue" is a bit of a misnomer, as the toolset is just too rudimentary.

For practical rescue activities, I've found the "live" image is far more heroic. It has more utilities out of the box, and can install packages into the live environment for any extras you might need. I often use it for resizing Windows partitions I want to keep when installing Debian (you can install from within the live environment too).

Hope this helps,
--
Chris