Re: LVM info - OTHER than HOWTO's

On 11/18/2015 9:58 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 06:08:49PM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

In some of my reading I came across a page recommending LVM for
ease of adjusting space.

When searching for more information all I'm finding are
essentially HOWTO's with only a couple of paragraphs on "Whats"
and "Whys". Essentially nothing on "Why not".

No information on dual boot.

Suggestions?

The patent for logical volumes,
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=5129088&KC=&FT=E&locale=en_EP,
might give you an idea of the motivation of LVM.

Using that to get the patent number, I found http://www.uspto.gov/ easier to navigate.
Once I edit out the "lawyer talk" it should be informative.

Also note that LVM on linux is quite intimately linked to the
Device Mapper system.

Web search for "Device Mapper" was illuminating.