Re: how execute a script

On Tue 17 Nov 2015 at 13:08:49 -0500, shawn wilson wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Chris Bannister
> <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> >> the
> >>
> >> communicated (via its extension). If you create a pdf, it is bad to not
> >> have the pdf extension - you've lost data.
> >
> > How have you lost data?
>
> You loose what the file type (data) should be if you save a file w/o
> an extension. Again, this is fine for an installed program (no one
> cares as long as it works) but not so good for data that is processed
> by another program or a script I want to edit.

You would have to give a specific example where a file processed by a
program or script fails to open for this argument to be convincing, You
also have to distinguish between data in the file and information the
extension conveys to the program.

My example: gv does not recognise the PDF file 'test' as something it is
*capable of opening*. With 'test' as the only file in a directory the
command gv plus TAB completion doesn't produce 'gv test'. But 'gv test'
opens the file, which is all that matters.

Your example is?