Re: Install MSWindz 7 as Virtual Machine on Debian 8

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 10/11/15 01:47, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> >> Up until last April, I ran Windows 7 under virtual Box on my Debian
> >> machine for my daily work almost every day for about 2 years.  I
> >> have cut down now to one day a week, and generally do that on a
> >> Macbook Air, also running Virtual Box.  It worked perfectly.
> >>
> >> I updated to Windows 10, through the upgrade program, and that was
> >> a little dodgy until I updated Virtual Box to version 5 and
> >> removed 3d Video acceleration.
> >>
> >> The only issue to be careful of, is that the drivers get properly
> >> rebuilt when the linux kernel changes.
> >>
> > Installing dkms (Dynamic Kernel Modules Support) and the appropriate
> > kernel headers will take care of that auto-magically.  Never had it
> > fail.  Of course, you  need the gcc compiler and its related files,
> > too.
> >
> > Also, I'd suggest the OP download VirtualBox directly from their web
> > site, and NOT from the Debian Repo.  When you do the former, the
> > VirtualBox repo automatically is set up and configured.

> I have switched back and forth between the virtual box debian
> repository and the normal repository at various times.  Currently
> using the normal Debian repository (testing), but a few months ago I
> was running Debian stable and trying to get Windows 10 to work and
> had to switch to a more recent release - so then used the virtual box
> one.
>
> [snip]

I use the VirtualBox repo now simply because it's more up-to-date than
the Debian one.

Originally, the Debian repo versions of VB lacked certain features like
USB support which were consider proprietary code. And so I downloaded
VB directly from their site.  But that's been sorted out now.  I think
VB put all the proprietary stuff on the Extras disk.