Re: Radeon HD 7500M/7600M [Thames] and Intel HD duo

On Fri, 2015-11-06 at 18:04 +0000, Mitt Green wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having a trouble with Radeon support. I am using a custom
> 3.18.20 kernel
> (with everything unnecessary - and, as far as I see, something
> necessary - removed).
>
> I can't play 4k videos (sometimes even fullhd) smoothly, CPU goes up
> to 100%
> and remains there until the video is stopped. With hd (720p) CPU
> usage is about 70%.
>
> As for more complete hardware configuration, I have Core i5, dual
> -core with four
> threads, integrated Intel HD (4000 I believe), AMD Radeon Thames
> [7500M/7600M].
>
> Previously I wasn't using AMD/ATI setting in kernel config, nor GPU
> switching,
> I feel that Intel GPU is fairly well alone, unless you want to do
> something heavier
> like those 4k videos.
>
> I tried some LiveCDs just to make sure that the problem is in system
> config,
> not from the hardware side which isn't that weak; I was able to
> decode those
> UltraHD mp4s.
>
> I've tried enabling ATI Radeon, installing firmware-amd-graphics (by
> the
> way the only thing I need from there is TURKS_pfp.bin), putting these
> things
> together, result is the same as with Intel HD solo, except for higher
> RAM
> consumption.
>
> Here's the paste of my current Intel-only config:
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/158650
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

I'm having a bit a of a problem parsing what you wrote. Do you have
have the same problem after installing firmware? Do you have the same
problem when using the Intel GPU?

How you play video matters quite a bit. AMD uses vdpau to accelerate
videos, Intel VA-API. To use this it must be supported in the video
player and you need to set it up.

I have no idea if this is supported way back in 3.18. As far as
graphics goes, it is ancient.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson