can't boot Jessie since power drop-out (virtualbox on MacBook with SSD)

I was/am running Jessie 8.2 in a VirtualBox on my MacBook.  The MacBook shutdown without warning while my Jessie VB was running, and now the VM wont boot properly.  I get stuck in emergency mode.  Ctrl-D does nothing - just cycle back to same message.

I googled a bit and found that if I comment out entries in /etc/fstab for the cdrom and my home directory (on the mac) then it will boot fine.
Once booted I can uncomment my home directory entry and mount it ok, but the system refuses to boot if it is left uncommented.

It used to work find before the power drop-out, so I'm presuming something is corrupt on the filesystem somewhere.
I tried to boot a live image and do an "fsck /dev/sda1" but it said it was clean.  Really ???

What's the best way to recover this so my system will boot properly?

I was going to do a reinstall but I couldn't find a way of doing that without repartitioning the disk (which I didn't want to do as I don't want to lose any of my data).
I could always create a new virtual disk for my home directory and just reinstall a new debian system, but I figure there should be a better way to recover.

Thanks,
Brendan.