Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 19:41:47 +0000
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 18:49:59 +0000
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sat 31 Oct 2015 at 10:01:36 -0600, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> >
> > > Will Debian 9 no longer install Aptitude by default?.
> >
> > Que Sera, Sera..... . Let's stay in the present (in line with the
> > post which started this thread) and look at unstable. Here are two
> > verifiable facts:
> >
> >   brian@sid:~$ dpkg --status aptitude | grep Priority
> >
> > Debian policy says:
> >
> >   The base system consists of all those packages with priority
> > required or important.
> >
> > Sid "not including aptitude by default in the stock installation"
> > would be somewhat unusual.
> >

> When did it begin? I can't recall any stable up to squeeze that
> included aptitude at the base level. When I've started from the ground
> up, aptitude, sudo and mc are the first things I've always added to a
> minimal netinstall.

Since there seems to be some confusion over this, a datum: I've just run
a basic jessie netinstall (no tasks selected) and aptitude was *not*
installed. 23.6MB of disc space, for the record, which is certainly a
fair bit for a text utility. Total disc space used is about 740MB.

--
Joe