Re: networking stopped after upgrade

On 03/11/15 15:15, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 12:49:44 +0000
> Graham Seaman <navtis@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> For some years I've been using a debian system as my household
>> firewall/router. It's been sitting quietly working without any major
>> changes, but has suddenly stopped doing so following my last aptitude
>> update/upgrade.
> <snip>
>> Any suggestions?
> Why not use a dedicated firewall distribution, like IPCop ?
The same machine also acts as my mail server, backup manager, etc.
Because of that I'm fairly desperate to get it back up as soon as
possible (all my real mail is currently bouncing while I'm stuck on
yahoo-mail).

There's also a more general kind of philosophical point: I started using
Linux because I hated the approach that says 'software is too complex
for normal people; if software fails, throw your device away and get a
new one'. In practice over  time my understanding of it has got less,
not more - I've been completely left behind since the start of systemd,
which I suspect may have something to do with my current problems. All
the same, I still feel that with some help everything ought to be fixable.

Graham