Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

On Mon 02 Nov 2015 at 22:15:10 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 02 November 2015 19:58:51 Brian wrote:
> > Your argument appears to be based on the state of a person's eyesight.
> > It also makes assertions about the state of mine. This is out of line;
> > you have no knowledge about the state of my sight (and never will).
>
> I said "would appear".  I was very careful in my choice of words.  I have a
> blind friend who can "read" at a phenomenal speed.

The form of words doesn't matter. It is out of place and unhelpful to
comment on the physical capabilities of a participant on a list of this
nature, especially as a way of countering a argument. To repeat: you
have no knowledge of how easy or hard I find reading a computer screen
to be or the speed I do it with. "would appear" are weasel words to
cover this lack of knowledge.

> It is out of line to be as judgemental as you are of others.  What you can do
> easily everyone else must do, or be dismissed, and no allowances must be
> made.  We are not all the same.  You have abilities which some others do not
> have.

I can wiggle both my ears at the same time. :)

> You said "The helpful folks at Debian also produce copious documentation (a
> Guide, Release Notes etc).At release time these tend to be up to date and are
> much more useful to newcomers" as a reason why aptitude should not be
> included.  I pointed out that these are not useful to everyone.  In fact, to
> some of us they are barely useful at all.

What is written has been written. Others can judge it in the context of
the mail it replied to.