Re: a little jessie whinage

On Sunday 11 October 2015 05:37:30 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 08:51:18PM -0600, Glenn English wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The problem with that is that there's a line at the top of the
> > resolv.conf: "Generated by NetworkManager." [...]
>
> A reason why I avoid NetworkManager since long (this has lead me
> towards a leaner system overall ;-)
>
> But one neat (and often forgotten) tool to debug the situation
> "something is messing with a file and I don't know who does what
> when" is chattr: just set the immutable attribute on the file
> (sudo chattr -i <path to file>) and wait until the perpetrator
> falls flat on its face (possibly complaining loudly).

Network-mangler hasn't got the Chutzpah to complain when it finds that a,
you've destroyed the link called /etc/resolv.conf to the file it links
resov.conf to, and created your own correct version in place of that
link. But just in case it gets smarter in its dotage, I chattr that
created file to be read only.  End of problem for a small hosts file
based local home network.  DNS queries are pointed at the router,
running dd-wrt. So all machines have unlimited internet access too.

Actually, I think it probably does work on the file, but the link to make
that file active no longer exists on my machines.  Once thats been done,
then N-M can be removed IF the system isn't destroyed by the
dependencies some distro's seem to put in the way just to harrass us
into fighting with a brainless POS pile of code.  Removing it from the
startup may be the best you can do to keep it from burning cpu cycles
spinning its wheels.

And I don't have a quarter to call someone who cares & says its incorrect
because it Just Works(TM).

> Sometimes this even "fixes" the problem (for some dubious value
> of "fixing", granted -- but in a pinch...)
>
> hth
> -- tomás

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)