Re: YAGF is a seriously screwed package

On Friday 10 July 2015 15:37:12 Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:33:46 +0200
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>
> Hello tomas@tuxteam.de,
>
> >Got it. The "Sirs" is definitely unfortunate.
>
> Sirs is still the correct form if you are addressing unknown persons in a
> company, organisation, etc.  I know some people object because "it
> excludes women" but in this context, the masculine is to be construed as
> including the feminine.

No, I disagree.  Mesdames is now fully accepted, and I would say expected,
giving:
Dear Sirs/Mesdames or even dear Mesdames/Sirs.

Duck includes drake and mankind includes women.  But "Sirs" does not and never
did, include women.  It dates from when there wouldn't be any women there
anyway.  I did once get told:  "The term gentlemen shall at all times be
taken to include you, Miss Reisz".  Which was fine.  He was acknowledging
that it basically didn't.

I once had a letter on the subject of the fact that I was my son's _mother_
beginning "Dear _Mr._ "  People are just used to addressing letters to men.

Lisi