Initrd and USB Keyboard

Hello,
I have a system running raid1, dmcrypt and lvm2.
Debian Version is jessie / stable
My disks have a small partition for boot, the rest ist encrypted incl. the system.
Therefore I'm forced to work with an initrd to at least build the raid, decrypt the 2nd partition and provide the virtual disks before the full system is able to boot.

Unfortunately I can't get my USB Keyboard to work. Neither in a rescue shell nor to type the decryption password.

I tried it with the 3.16.0-4-amd (generic) kernel by loading the proper modules. The newer 3.16.7 Kernel I compiled myself building all the necessary drivers in the kernel. Neither is working.

In my initrd I use lsmod to show if the proper modules where beeing loaded and by using lsusb -t I can see my usb root hubs (uhci/ehci) with the connected keyboard (usbhid).
Using the generic kernel all the modules are properly shown by lsmod: uhci-hcd, ehci-pci, usbhid - incl. their dependencies.

The keyboard works in bios and in grub but as soon as the initrd starts the numlock LED lights up but theres no reaction to any input. I cant even disable Numlock.

I already tried a lot but I am simply stuck now.
I built my own initrds, I let them beeing gererated by update-initramfs (incl. proper modules) - same result

When I tried to search for a solution I always find pages that report of a bug about missing modules but it's at least 2 years old and all my modules are there.

I also tried a different keyboard.
The system worked just fine as it is with the 3.4.2 kernel and jessie.

Are there maybe typical mistakes that are often made here that don't have anything to do with modules or drivers. Is there any magic in starting /bin/sh in the initrd?
Or might I need another driver thats not in the dep of usbhid and has nothing directly to do with uhci/ehci maybe from a completely differnt category?

Your help would really be appreciated. I'm simply stuck.
Alex