Re: pam_shield is blocking allowed networks

Louis Wust <louiswust@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 06:42, Mart van de Wege wrote:
>> I have set up pam_shield to allow my IP; when I test it by generating
>> 5 bad logins (threshold is 5 per 10m), I see pam_shield print
>> 'allowing from <my ip>/255.255.255.255' in the logs; and yet after 5
>> login attempts it blocks my ip.
>
> This is due to a bug in the code which matches IP addresses. I
> investigated the cause and will file a bug report.

Ah nice.

> In the meantime, try using a hostname instead of an IP address. If the
> system you want to allow does not have a hostname, make one up and add
> it to /etc/hosts.

Thankfully at least two machines that *need* to be whitelisted do have a
stable rDNS mapping and can be added by name.

Unfortunately, for the rest I need a network match, so setting up
/etc/hosts for that is a bit impractical.

On the gripping hand, as long as I can reach the server from at least
one machine, I can always manually unblock.

Thanks for looking at it.

Mart
    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.