Re: ffmpeg vs. libav

Quoting Nicolas George (george@nsup.org):
> Le decadi 20 messidor, an CCXXIII, David Wright a écrit :
> > > "stuck"? "back"? Why do you think using ffmpeg is going "back" or getting
> > > "stuck"?
> > wheezy!loyaldebianuser ~$ avconv
> <snip>
>
> Is this flood of quotes supposed to actually answer the question?

The reason I used quotations was to try to avoid putting words in the
mouths of the libav and Debian teams/leaderships. But the user could
read all this as (loosely in the same order):

wheezy:
    ffmpeg is deprecated
    avconv is its replacement
    man ffmpeg gives you many examples in terms of avconv, not ffmpeg
    ffmpeg is now listed as a transitional package
    libav-tools breaks ffmpeg and replaces it

jessie:
    ffmpeg has now gone
    avconv has replaced it; same team, much the same functionality
    traces of ffmpeg remain in the names of some applications' support libraries

and to summarise the release notes:

Debian wheezy [...]: ffmpeg has been replaced by [...] (libav-tools).
It provides [...] and prepares an upgrade path for existing application packages.
installation of packages from third-party repositories should not be necessary.

So if Debian has moved forward from ffmpeg to libav, then using ffmpeg
is "going back", unless you mean something else by those two words.

BTW, the OP didn't say "getting stuck" but "stuck going back".
Stuck has the sense of "to fail to proceed or advance" and it
often expresses an emotion of defeat at the prospect.

Cheers,
David.