Re: Dedicated server doesn't boot, can't seem to figure out why

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 11:43:27AM +0000, Linux4Bene wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've done several attempts to install Wheezy (can't use Jessie as I want
> to eventually copy a working config over from another server) on an OVH
> dedicated server. It contains 2 x 2TB disks.
> I boot into the rescue mode, partition the disks, set-up raid and lvm,
> and then use debootstrap to install the base system. The system
> afterwards fails to boot. The partitioning scheme I made with gdisk (GPT):
>
> Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size     Code  Name
>    1          2048           51200   24.0 MiB    EF02  BIOS boot partition
>    2         53248          512000   224.0 MiB   FD00  Linux RAID
>    3        514048      3907029134   1.8 TiB     FD00  Linux RAID
>
> Partition 2 is for /boot on /dev/md0 using /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2.
> Filesystem is ext2. Partition 3 is for all the rest, using LVM on /dev/md1
> (/dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb3).
>
> The raid devices work, lvm works, everything seems fine, except when
> rebooting after the complete install. I can then boot into rescue mode
> but I have no clues as to what went wrong (probably grub?) nor can I
> consult a log file.
> I don't seem to have a console to view the boot process. I can only use
> ssh to login to my server or rescue mode.
>
> If I try this exact same setup method locally in Virtual box (same
> install method with debootstrap), it boots without problems. I moved /
> boot to it's own raid (not on lvm) because I first thought that was the
> problem. I've tried specifying metadata=0.90 for the raid, and I have
> tried to change the grub settings: GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
> Nothing works and I have no clue why.
>
> I know it's a long shot, but any ideas as to what might be wrong?
> Or is there another way I could install with using raid for this server?

This sounds like a failure in your boot loader. I notice that you say
you use debootstrap to install the base system, rather than using the
installer. Have you remembered to install a boot loader? debootstrap
normally expects to be installing into a chroot or similar, so won't do
all the necessary tasks that are needed for a bare-metal install. If
you've installed grub (I suspect you want grub-efi-amd64, if you're
using a 64-bit PC), check that the necessary files were loaded into
/boot/efi (your partition #1 above). You may also get a "Debian" entry
in your firmware boot selection menu.

If, however, grub IS installed, how far through its boot does it get? Do
you get a "rescue>" prompt? Do you get the menu up? etc.

If you get a "rescue>" prompt, try the following (cadged from the Gentoo
Wiki):
  insmod gzio
  insmod part_msdos		# Probably don't need this, actually
  insmod part_gpt
  insmod diskfilter
  insmod mdraid1x
  insmod ext2
  set    root="mduuid/<tab>"
  linux  /boot/vmlinuz blahblah
  inirtd /boot/initramfs blahblah

Tab completion should be available, and SHOULD find the UUID of your
raid (or produce an error, if not, hopefully)

If you get as far as the menu, do you get any errors when you try to
select Debian?