Re: Light web browser for old PC

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 03:07:43PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 02/07/2015, Wilko Fokken <wfokken@web.de> wrote:
> > In the past times, depending on a serial modem for internet access,
> > I preferred Opera, because it allows to switch ANY graphics OFF // ON
> > through simple menu buttons:
> >

> A problem with the opera web browser, that causes me to avoid using
> recent versions, and to avoid updating, and, to recommend against
> installing it, is the inclusion of the malware named speed dial, and,
> the obsession of the opera staff, with preventing users from disabling
> the malware that is named speed dial.

I wonder whether old Opera versions WITHOUT Speed Dial would be safer
compared to using recent versions WITH Speed Dial integrated.

> As soon as someone finds how to disable speed dial, the opera people
> prevent speed dial from being disabled in the next version.
>
> So, for a web browser that is efficient, I suggest lynx.
>
> And, I recommend against installing opera.

As I don't have to rely on my slow serial modem any more to connect to the
Internet, I am using Opera only when I need to completely block out nasty

With a right mouse click on a blank Opera screen, I have opened the Speed
Dial configurtion menu allowing me to diminish and/or hide Speed Dial
completely; whether this still enables intruders to exploit it as malware,
I'd like to know.

So far, I haven't experienced any abuse of my computer abstaining strictly
from facebook, twitter etc., using only 'mutt' as my mailer.