Re: RAID b/w GPT and NON GPT partition.

Gary Dale a écrit :
> On 30/06/15 02:56 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> You don't need to update the BIOS. All a sensible BIOS has to do is load
>> the boot code in the MBR, regardless of the partition table style.
>>
> That's not true. I have a Dell laptop that needed a BIOS update after I
> switched it to GPT. It wouldn't boot without it.

As Gene pointed out, the keyword is "sensible". Yes, there are broken
BIOSes around, but it has nothing to do with the GPT format itself.
These BIOSes typically have more requirements about the MBR contents
than the "boot signature" magic number 0xaa55 at the end of the sector,
and this is just WRONG.

I must have been lucky, because the few uncompliant BIOSes I have seen
so far "only" required that the MBR contains a valid MSDOS partition
table (that's fine with the protective MBR of the GPT format) containing
at least one partition with the "boot" flag. So after toggling the boot
flag on the protective GPT partition, the BIOS accepted to boot the disk.