Re: Moving server to new server with tar

Op Mon, 08 Jun 2015 16:06:41 -0600, schreef Bob Proulx:

> Linux4Bene wrote:
<snip>
> Since /dev is dynamic anything done to it will evaporate after a reboot.
>  After a reboot it will all be as if nothing had been overwritten there.
>  If you get to the point of a reboot then there is nothing lingering
> afterward.  You would be in the clear.  I would still exclude it of
> course.  The possibility of archiving /dev/mem for example makes me
> nervous. :-)

Hehe indeed. I will change the tar command to exclude it completely.

>   http://marc.merlins.org/perso/linux/post_2014-01-06_My-Live-Upgrading-
>Many-Thousands-of-Servers-ProdNG-talk-at-Linux_conf_au-2014.html
>
> Unfortunately the original paper is now 403 forbidden.  I think that is
> likely a mistake somewhere.  But the Internet Archive Wayback Machine
> has a copy if you want to browse it.
>
>   https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://marc.merlins.org/linux/talks
>ProdNG-LCA2014/Paper/ProdNG.pdf

Thanks, the last links you posted worked. I'm very interested in reading
about it.

> As I recall one spot I don't think was as complete was the kernel both
> running and otherwise.  I think debtakeover required that the new system
> run on the foreign system's kernel.  Which is not always possible due to
> system version differences.  I think that is more of a problem now than
> it was then.  So for example replacing a RHEL 6 system with Jessie would
> fail because jessie binaries require a newer kernel than the default
> RHEL 6 kernel.  But probably upgrading the kernel first with a native
> backport and then doing the debtakeover process would get past that
> problem.

It still seems like software that can be useful today or are there other
preferred (manual) ways of doing such a conversion?

>> When I rebooted the system, it failed because the UUID was still the
>> UUID of the main disk of the old system.
>
> Ah...  Probably should 'grep -r $UUID /etc' for every mention of it.

Another useful comment, thanks.

> Are you using lvm or raid?  If either of those then would probably want
> to *avoid* overwriting the /etc/lvm or /etc/mdadm directories. Both of
> those configs keep UUIDs in them.

No, it's a fairly simple VPS, no raid or LVM.

>> Bob, thanks for your thorough explanation & insight.
>
> It is an interesting problem.  I am deep in the middle of installation
> and setup all of the time.
>
> Bob

Sounds very challenging and interesting at the same time :)

Benedict