I upgraded from jessie to stretch and messed up I used the dist-upgrade command....

Dear Debian Folks,

I changed from jessie to stretch in my sources.list file and then did aptitude safe-upgrade.

It worked OK or so it seemed.

But then I decided to try aptitude dist-upgrade afterward.

That wanted to rehash the xorg-server video package and after doing it when I boot up the window manager does not start up.

I can boot in recovery mode but if I do that as root if I run aptitude it doesn't download packages - I think there is no internet connection being made.

What sort of output that I could get in recovery mode (eg var log files dmesg output) would be useful to help fix this?

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Michael Fothergill