Re: How to boot without GUI

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:54:09 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 08/06/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:

> >> setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
> >>
> >> Petter
> >>

> > Thank you for that.
> >
> > However, whilt that apparently enabled the <CTRL><ALT><BACSPACE>
> >

> Plurry keyboards!
>
> Whilst that combination was apparently enabled, the effect of that
> combination keypress was to take the computer to a different state of
> xwindows, and, not to disable xwindows, so the combination keypress
> did not have the desired effect.

You need to be clearer. Did it drop you back to the display manager?
Stop that manually, like has been explained elsewhere in this thread. If
no display manager is running, and you had started X with startx or
xinit, X should be killed by that keyboard shortcut.

> Maybe nVidia is simply designed to not work with Linux...

They do have a reputation of not being very open-source friendly, but
other than that it works fine for a lot of people. I prefer AMD,
though.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"