Re: Old Computers

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 08:32:01AM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> Look around and see if you can find a copy of fvwm 1.24r - I ran that
> for years on a 386 with little RAM without any problems. Version 2 is a
> little heavier, but you can compile it yourself and leave out options
> you don't need, like pixmap support for the titlebars etc.
>
> Petter

I still use icewm as my favorite window manager (no gnome).

(Though I installed xfce4, too, I hardly ever use that WM,
 since I don't like those tiring mouse operations
 as xfce4 offers but limited key handling.)

Install:
 packages: icewm, icewm-common

Drawback:
you have to edit the config files in /etc/icewm/* to your taste:

 menu
 preferences
 programs
 toolbar

(After this is done, your individual configuration will hardly need
 another touch, if you saved your altered files for system updates.)

To start icewm,
have /etc/xinit/xinitrc execute two commands:

 exec /etc/profile
 exec icewm-session

To limit boot to text mode,
disable any display manager files: xdm, gdm .. in /etc/init.d,

start X via startx