How to type in Chinese?

Hello,
I would like to type Chinese in Debian Jessie, Cinnamon, for LibreOffice, TexShop, for my lessons Chinese.
In windows, MacOS, I can point to an icon, a window pops up, I can choose "pinyin".
After that: when I type "shi", a window pops up with all the possibilities to choose from.

How can I arrange that in my type of Debian?
Is there a script?
Because, when I read all the web sites about this subject,  I get lost.
It is exhaustive, but too difficult.
Please help me with specific and automatic what-to-do.
Peter