Re: aptitude update errors for upgrade to Jessie on amd64

On Wednesday 13 May 2015 19:55:16 Bob Proulx wrote:
> Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> >   I have still the same problem with "Hash Sum mismatch"
> >   Do you have any idea on how to fix it?
>
> Is your system behind a proxy cache of some sort?  This problem is one
> sometimes seen when files of different ages are cached and served
> causing the entire set of files to be out of sync with each other.
> This is sometimes seen when behind a caching proxy server such as
> those on a large company network.
>
> There are various solutions.  I think the simplest is to change the
> sources.list file to a different mirror.  That will have the effect of
> asking for different URLs and will avoid the previously cached files
> and will cause the local copies of the old files to be expired.
>
> You are currently using:
>
>   deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian jessie main
>
> That is okay.  Good!  But for the purpose of this task change that to
> a different but still valid mirror.  This would be a good time to try
> out the new http redirector which has just recently become an official
> Debian resource.[1]
>
>   deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main
>
> That httpredir.debian.org was previously known as http.debian.net for
> those on the list that are familiar with it.
>
> This is a good configuration for anyone geographically anywhere as it
> will redirect to the best known nearby mirror.  The effect for you
> with this problem is that it will be a different appearing URL than
> the previously used ftp.fr.debian.org and will therefore ask for
> different files.  The previously locally cached files on your disk in
> /var/lib/apt will be expired as no longer being in your sources.list
> file.  If mismatched cached proxy files are your only remaining
> problem then this should fix it.  Make sure to 'apt-get update' after
> changing the sources.list file.

We need to be offered this during a netinstall.  I did a netinstall yesterday,
and as usual was offered my bhoice of mirror in the UK.  I chose my usual
because over the years it has been fast and reliable - though I have a
regular second choice for when needed.

I would more than happily have chosen httpredir.debian.org had I been offered
it.

Lisi