Re: need help with approx-gc

Paul E Condon wrote:
> I run approx on one of my local jessie machines. The approx installation
> is strictly by using the approx deb, which includes a weekly run of
> approx-gc , which should just clean out the local repository of debs that
> are no longer useful. But approx-gc has started reporting I/O errors.

It is reporting I/O errors as in the disk drive is failing types of
errors?  As in hardware errors outside of the software?

What is reported?  Are the errors in the /var/log/syslog or
/var/log/kern.log files?  What types of errors?

  less /var/log/kern.log

Are you running SMART?  What do the SMART error logs say?

  smartctl -l error /dev/sda
  smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

Are you running selftests?  If not try running a SMART selftest and
seeing what is the result of it.

  smartctl -t short /dev/sda
  sleep 120  # or whatever is predicted above
  smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

If short is okay then try a 'long' test.  If you are seeing I/O errors
then I would be worried the disk is failing.  In which case the SMART
would confirm it.  (SMART isn't a good predictor.  But it can confirm
a diagnosis.)

Bob