Re: Penguin Wireless N USB Adapter TPE-N150USBL

On Mon 04 May 2015 at 19:39:33 -0400, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> After using this adapter for a few months (18 months ago) I committed out all my
> wireless lines in /etc/network/interfaces and stopped using it because it kept
> breaking the connection at odd times.
>
> I have to take a trip and this computer goes with me where I'll need to use WiFi and
> so I uncommitted out my network interfaces file,  loaded the firmware (from the
> think penguin help site) plugged in the adapter but nothing happens.

The non-free firmware-atheros package has the firmware for the adapter.

> # The loopback network interface
>
> auto lo
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> auto wlan0

I'd be inclined to have 'allow-hotplug wlan0'.

> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wpa-ssid <my ssid, a  dlink-dir825>
> wpa-psk <my passphrase>
>
> I followed these instructions for the latest  firmware at the think penguin help
> site for this adapter:
>
> cd /lib/firmware
>
> wget https://www.thinkpenguin.com/files/ath9k_firmware_free-version/htc_9271.fw
> wget https://www.thinkpenguin.com/files/ath9k_firmware_free-version/htc_7010.fw
>
> rebooted the computer
>
> however..the adapter is still not connected

It's very surprising a reboot didn't bring up the interface.

> this after ifup wlan0:
>
> # ifup wlan0
> wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
> Failed to bring up wlan0.
>
> any suggestions to what might be missing here?

Most of the on-screen message you saw? :)

Check if the supplicant is running; 'ps ax | grep wpa'. Terminate it
with 'wpa_cli terminate'. Retry 'ifup wlan0'.