Mysql Access Problems after Jessie Upgrade

I have been sticking with Debian stable for some while, and whilst that was Whezzy, I have deb-multimedia version of MythTV-Frontend installed on my desktop and mythtv-backend (and mythweb) installed on my server. This all worked fine

I updated my desktop to Jessie which seemed to immediately break comptibility between front end and backend of mythtv, so I upgraded my server also.

Yesterday I successfully watched a recorded TV program on my desktop.

Today I am having database connection problems.

Using mysql client to connect to my server "owl.home"

 mysql --host=owl.home --user=mythtv --password=XXXXXX mythconverg
ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading authorization packet', system error: 0

I have the same /etc/mysql/my.cnf file that I had before which is pretty standard except for

bind-address        = 0.0.0.0

So that the server should be listening for connections on all interfaces.

The only other strange change is that the ip address of owl.home has changed from 192.168.0.1 (where it was the internet gateway and Nat router) to 192.168.0.10 - since the virgin media superhub that I am now using takes over the 192.168.0.1 address.

I am really at a lost as to how to debug this further. The backend is still recording successfully, and I can view the recordings by streaming them from mythweb, but because the front end can't directly attach to the database it is not allowing me to view from there.

I feel the failing mysql command is the key indicator of whats wrong, but with nothing I can find in any logs, I don't know how to proceed further.

Any ideas anyone

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk