GUI won't start after wheezy upgrade

Hi all,

I am running wheezy on an old Dell Inspiron B130. After updating today, after not having had the machine powered on for a few weeks, Gnome freezes on startup. I have the machine boot to command prompt, I run 'start x' and the gui background comes up, but it hangs there and I can't do anything else. Some component of Gnome must have upgraded, as the wallpaper is different.

I found a solution to a similar problem here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=79769, which recommended running apt-get --reinstall install xserver-xorg-core followed by dpkg-reconfigure -a. I was unable to do this; I got a message back saying that the libcairo2 package has unmet dependencies. I don't even know for sure if this would even address the issue if it worked.

Any ideas on how I can figure out what the problem is and fix it? I would much appreciate it.

Thanks,