Re: How can I force a full fsck on a remote system at next reboot?

Am 2015-03-13 00:17, schrieb Jape Person:
I did realize that "touch /forcefsck" was still working, and that's
what I'm using now. I was just trying to get with the times and use
whatever I'm supposed to use now.

What I didn't know was that all the -F flag on shutdown was doing was
to create that file. Funny that.

Right, you're not the only one. There were quite a few people, when they noticed file system errors in the system log, they thought it might be a good idea to force a file system check and reboot via shutdown -F, not realizing that this caused writes to a file system which already had problems. That this is not a good idea is hopefully obvious. That's basically the whole reason, why the usage of /forcefsck is discouraged and the -F command line switch was removed from shutdown, to hide this "feature".

I will check the man pages for grub-set-default. It seems like the
approach of using grub for this function on remote systems may be a
little easier than I was thinking it would be earlier on.

BTW, do you have any thoughts as to why the recent upgrade in
initramfs-tools would defeat the strategy I was using -- setting
maximum mount count to zero with a line in rc.local and then invoking
tune2fs to change it to a value of one, and then rebooting?

Unfortuantely not. I haven't looked into detail yet, what the changes in initramfs-tools (I assume you refer to 0.119 here) do.

Michael