Re: Debian 7 and UEFI/GPT

On 13/03/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Gajadur Dwijesh (dwijesh1@gmail.com):
>> Hi.
>> I got the same problem..
>> I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLlOd-a2wG0
>> and it worked..i could dual boot windows 8.1 with Debian on UEFI mode
>
> Interesting. I played this through and at 506 seconds, I saw my first
> EFI screen. Am I right in thinking that's as "high" up the machine
> configuration that we saw?
>
> In other words, was that screen the equivalent of what I first see
> when I press F2 on booting, or was it just the equivalent of what I
> see if I then press the arrow keys to get to the Boot Order or Boot
> Device Menu screen.
>
> Understandably, my wife, who owns the only modern machine in this
> household, running W8.1, won't let me near her "BIOS" (what do you
> call it now?) configuration.

I believe (and, I stand to be corrected) that the configuration part,
is the Setup Utility, and that the BIOS  as it was (and, can still
be), and, its superseder, UEFI (that superseded EFI), is invoked by
the Setup Utility.

When I press <F2>, it enters Setup Mode, which (on a newfangled UEFI
system) allows the system administrator (a user should definitely not
be fiddling about in this area :) ) to select, amongst other options,
either UEFI or "Legacy" BIOS, for booting.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."