Re: Installing Jessie on a computer that current has Windows 7 on it

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 15:00:13 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> On 20150310_1410+0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 22:07:17 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>
>> [ ... snip ... ]
> suggestion of running CHKDSK wasn't tried in the manner that I'm sure
> was intended because by the time I got it, I knew that it didn't boot
> Windows off the hard disk anymore.

Try chkdsk off the boot CD then (assuming you have a Win boot disk.  NTFS
tends to do awful things to drives wherein they get weird "locks" in
them.  Or just use the windows disk to quick format the drive ... and
stop it there.

Alternatively, see if there's a low-level format utility (from the drive
manufacturer) that you can run on its own.  I used to have one from
Western Digital that worked nicely for writing all zeroes to the drive.

Or, plug it into a different computer via an external enclosure, and see
if you can format it that way.

In either case, writing all zeroes to the drive will probably be your
best bet of clearing any stupid NTFS problems.