Re: How to boot with the "irqpoll" option?

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 2:40:05 PM UTC+5:30, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 07:49:04PM -0700, Rusi Mody wrote:

> > > Here's a different, more direct, approach:
> > >
> > > Reboot.  When the GRUB menu comes up, select a suitable (Linux)
> > > option, but instead of pressing [RETURN], press 'e'.  This will bring
> > > you to an editable screen.  Navigate to the line that begins with
> > >
> > >     /boot/vmlinuz-...
> > >
> > > Add ' irqpoll' at the end of this line, and then hit `Ctrl-x` to boot
> > > the system.
> > >
> > > This method has the disadvantage that the same procedure must be
> > > followed every time one wants to boot with "irqpoll" enabled.  On the
> > > other hand, enabling "irqpoll" is considered only a temporary measure,
> > > so it's probably a good thing to keep its activation inconvenient.
> > >
> > > kj
> >
> > 3rd option.
> > Do the addition to the linux (ie kernel) line of /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> >
> > Yeah the file says dont do that.
> > The grub guys make that suggestion but dont really follow it themselves!
> > This will work until the next time some upgrade changes the cfg file
>
> Which is exactly WHY you're encouraged not to edit that file. People
> tend not to like having their configurations disappear without warning,
> so there's a big warning at the top of the file.

True

But Kynn did say:
| This method has the disadvantage that the same procedure must be
| followed every time one wants to boot with "irqpoll" enabled.  On the
| other hand, enabling "irqpoll" is considered only a temporary measure,
| so it's probably a good thing to keep its activation inconvenient.

So I guessed he wanted some intermediate level of 'temporiness'

And as for the warning in grub.cfg: I believe the minor reason is that one can
lose settings in an upgrade.
The major one is by messing the file one can get an unbootable system