Re: Xfce Not Closing

On 3/8/15, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/15, Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm running Xfce 4.10 on Jessie. After booting, I log into the console
>> with my user account, start my network interface, then run "startx" to
>> run Xfce. When I select the "Logout" menu option, I get prompted with a
>> list of choices (Logout, Reboot, Shutdown), none of which seem to do
>> anything. It acts as everything is working properly, but nothing ever
>> happens. As in, the system never logs out, shutsdown, or reboots. I
>> have to open a terminal and "killall xinit" to get back to my logged-in
>> console prompt.
>>
>> Does anyone have tips on to how to solve this?
>

> Sorry, no tips here, just chiming in that it's occurring for me, too,
> on *Sid*. Just on Application Menu > Log Out > Log Out. NOT on Restart
> or Shut Down.
>
> Have NOT tried the other two (Suspend and Hibernate). Will *TRY* to
> remember to do so later this afternoon but am having to (successfully)
> shut down to move outside this second. :)
>
> Unfortunately just hadn't pulled it together to nose around to see
> what might help fix it, primarily because I haven't needed log out
> until just coincidentally yesterday.. SOME of it happening early on
> for me turned out to be *potentially* about pertinent hidden files not
> existing under my user's home directory...
>
> Sorry, wish I had more in the way of a resolution but figured it
> wouldn't hurt to commiserate to show it's not just you.. :)
>
> Cindy :)
>
> PS Just for kicks but not sure that it lends any insight here, uname -a:
>
> Linux northpole 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt4-3
> (2015-02-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Sorry I didn't think to ask in original email (hate my brain), did you
try as root just for kicks? I'm trying to remember if I went through
this with Jessie or not but can't remember. Here with Sid's initial
install, I remember NOT having this problem as root and I *almost*
remember not having this problem as a newly created secondary user.
SEEMS LIKE only user having the problem was the longstanding one whose
/home directory I kept adding back in to new installs...

Shoot, you know what I'm also remembering now.... part way, anyway...
is that this POSSIBLY even occurred before I ever installed Xfce...
For VERY SURE it was occurring at the... console (?) before I ever
even entered "startx"..

THAT'S why I knew to ask if you tried it as root. Root in console (?)
successfully logged out, but my user "elf" could not. User "elf" got
hung ever time and cause a forced reboot via the button on the laptop.
Never found an alternative to escape the hang any other way.....

Whatever else above, I definitely got hung on Log Out while in Xfce
yesterday and had to go full reboot.... :)

Cindy