Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:

> >> Somehow, anything that needs daily updates, or upgrades, does not
> >> meet any definition of "stable" that I'm familiar with.
> > As far a Debian is concerned, you have the incorrect definition of
> > "stable."  With Debin "Stable" means "unchanging," without serious
> > bugs, not less prone to crash.  It's confusing, I agree.  I wish a
> > different term had been chosen.
>
> I think the question was quite clear as to meaning - the OP asked is
> Jessie (i.e., Debian stable), stable (in the plain English use of the
> word) enough for general use.  Not confusing at all.

In my reply to the OP (not the one above to you), I said that Jessie,
even as an RC1, was suitable for general use.  But that daily
update/dist-upgrades were necessary to keep it so as it made its way
toward Stable.

FWIW, the Jessie Beta1 I installed (terminal only) in a VM months ago
has had no problems.  And I've dist-upgraded it only twice.  I've even
converted it to sysvinit.  Not even a hiccup.  My intent was to
ultimately convert to runit and runitinit for testing, but only
installed runit. No problems. As far as runitinit, that conversion's
been on the backburner for weeks.