Re: Keyboard layouts in GNOME3 on Debian Jessie

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 10:29:16PM +0100, Eugen Wintersberger wrote:
> As already announced earlier here are the screenshots
>
> add_input_source_laptop.png - shows the "Add input source" dialog for
> the laptop installation
>
> add_input_source_desktop.png - shows the "Add input source" dialog for
> the desktop system
>
> When I search for "german" I obviously get two different results - what
> I want to know is why.

Well, here's a guess for "why": in your e-mail in the other thread, you
seemed to say you did a *new install* of jessie on your Lenovo T440s and
then you *upgraded* your desktop to jessie.  So maybe the desktop had an
old version of something, that had "US keyboard with German letters" in
it, but since then the name of that variant got changed or that variant
was subsumed by a different one.  (I don't *know* that the name changed.
It's just a possibility that came to mind.)

I use MATE and when I select layouts by language, for German, I see a
variant "English (US) English (International Alt Gr Dead keys)",
enabling German letters with AltGr.  Maybe that's a variant you
could try.  (According to [1], that's also the way "US keyboard with
German letters" seems to work.)

[1] http://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/2wvwdk/us_keyboard_with_german_letters/