Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On Thu 05 Mar 2015 at 00:03:28 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> No, it was not about labelling the swap partition.
>
> The original posting, was, I believe, seeking stepwise instructions
> for recovery of the GRUB multi-OS selection bootloader, using the
> Debian LiveCD.

My recollection is that you got detailed instructions.

> The context from which the references to the labelling arose, related
> to the partitions showing UUID's, rather than device names, and, not
> showing the partition labels that had been set, thence, not indicating
> into which partitions, the operating systems had been installed, or,
> which had been, prior to the installation of the trojan horse
> operating system, the partition that had the GRUB configuration
> installed, for the reinstallation of the GRUB multi-OS selection
> bootloader.
>
> In trying to restore GRUB, a question was asked, that was something
> like "Into which of the following partitions, do you want the root
> system installed", and, the list there, was /dev/sda<x>, with no
> partition labels.

"something like" isn't good enough.

> Neither that screen, nor the one that showed the partitions,
> identified using the UUID's (which, to a user like me, in the context
> of trying to restore the GRUB multi-OS selection bootloader, are
> meaningless, and, as useful as listing the subatomic particles, or the
> elements of the Periodic Table), showed the labels that had been set
> for the partitions, and so, did not show into which partition, each of
> the operating systems had been installed.

You were advised on how to identify the operating system on a partition.

> So, the problem remains unresolved, and the issues involved, have been
> buried by the other material that has been posted in the thread, and
> it is all now confused.
>
> And, as it has all become so complicated and difficult, with the
> difficulties of life with which I have to deal, it all (trying to fix
> the particular computer system, to get it operational again) has to
> wait, until I can find time to deal with it further.

When you do get to deal with it you will find the advice you have been
given very useful.