Upgrading clients using rsync

Hello,

I have successfully upgraded clients from Debian7 to Debian8 using rysnc.

First I did a fresh new install with Debian8 on a client.
Then I used rsync to make a backup of that to the server.

After that I used rsync again to sync this backup to a Debian7 client,
with some excludes. Rsync did not give errors, SSH did still work after
the sync.

It was neccessary to do an "update-grub" (for the UUID of the root
partition), and a "grub-install", because of the new grub version in
Debian 8.

After a reboot of the client everything worked fine.

This are the scripts I used on the server:
https://vandervlis.nl/files/backup-client8
https://vandervlis.nl/files/sync-client8

I think this is interesting for upgrading, but it's also interesting to
keep clients identical after bigger changes. Maybe even as an
alternative for Puppet.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/