Re: Looking for document and file organisation tools

On 03/03/2015 09:13 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
What free software is there in the way of organizing lots of documents?
To be more precise, the ones I *need* to organize are the files on hard
drives, though if I could include documents I have elsewhere (bookshelves
and photocopy files) I wouldn't mind.  They are text documents in a
variety of file formats and languages, source code for current and
obsolete systems, jpeg images, film clips, drawings, SVG files, files,
object code, shared libraries, fragments of drafts of books,  ragged
software documentation, works in progress ...

For information organization concepts, have you read the Polar Bear book? I read an earlier version, and it was helpful:

    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920034674.do

For storage tools/ technologies, ZFS offers compression, deduplication, snapshots, replication, redundancy, etc., among other useful features. Note that there is a big debate involving ZFS and ECC memory:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zfs

    https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/zfs-fuse

    http://zfsonlinux.org/

    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=zfs++ecc

If you can code, FUSE allows you to roll your own file system:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace

As you mentioned, another storage option would be a database.

For me, the user interface is a conundrum. It would need at least user-level access to the file system(s). I've contemplated writing an application. But I think it would end up resembling a file manager, so why not write a file manager plug-in? But, which file manager? Similar comments for a browser plug-in. Whatever I do, it needs to work with existing CLI/GUI programs and desktop environments. What are your thoughts?

You might want to obtain access to a university library and browse research papers and publications. Also, take a look at Plan 9.

HTH,

David