Re: Please stop systemd-fsck on _every_ boot!

> Just a reminder.  fsck is responsible for applying the journal to
> journaled filesystems.  So you really do want it to run everytime.

I'm confused by this. Mount claims that it replays journals by giving
you the hazardous option of preventing it:
  "norecovery/noload
    Don't load the journal on mounting.  Note that if the filesystem
    was not unmounted cleanly, skipping the journal replay will lead
    to the filesystem containing inconsistencies that can lead to any
    number of problems."

For installed drives with fstab field 6 non-zero, there's no problem,
assuming systemd follows sysvinit in calling fsck before mount:
@S07checkroot.sh
@S08checkroot-bootclean.sh
@S08kmod
@S08mtab.sh
@S09checkfs.sh
@S10mountall.sh
@S11mountall-bootclean.sh

However, when I mount ext3/4 filesystems on removable drives and get
the message:
    EXT4-fs (sdb2): mounting ext3 file system using the ext4 subsystem
 →  EXT4-fs (sdb2): warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    EXT4-fs (sdb2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
is this safe? What happens if my removable drive was mounted when the
power was cut off?

I occasionally force-check my removable drives, but did I read here
that up-to-date systems were writing zero into the 6th field of fstab
for ext4 partitions?

Cheers,
David.