Printing vs wheezy, after a week I won!

Greetings list members;

Its been an interesting 3 or 4 days, and at one point I considered
blowing away wheezy and trying someing else because I could not get my
printers to eject a dirty piece of paper.

As I am 80, my short term memory isn't as good as I'd like, but it is
what it is.  So the stuff I need to re-read after walking to the shop, or
even after getting another cup of joe, I usually print.

The cups error_log messages were many and varied, always listing a
rastertolxx74 missing, but hey, thats Lexmark crap, and these printers
are both Brother lasers.

The other thing was that it kept asking for (this is your default
cups-1.5.3 installed on wheezy, a library named libpoppler.so.5, but the
one in the repos is so.19.0.0, a heck of a lot newer. I tried a softlink
to it as an so.5, but again no biscuit.

Since I came from a specialty ubuntu LTS install, (as is this wheezy as
its setup with an RTAI patched realime kernel for running what can be
heavy and dangerous CNC controlled machinery, one of my many interests.

I did finally find that lib and its short name link on the old ubu
10.04.4 LTS drive, and copied them over to the new wheezy install. Ran an
ldconfig which found it, reconfigured the printer from a root session of
firefox, restarted cups, and tried to do a test page.  No biscuit, not
even a whiff of one.

But that attempt also logged that it couldn't find libjpeg.so.62, and lo,
and behold even, there was a libjpeg62 visible on my synaptic screen.  So
I installed it, restarted cups and reconfigured the printer for about the
20th time.  And this time a test page worked!

I have the linux version of Brothers latest drivers installed too, so
I've no clue which is responsible for the missing dependencies, other
than that they need fixed.

How is the best way to achieve this, or do we just leave this record here
on the list for others to search for?

In which case, Brother HL3170CDW owners will need to find and copy to the
wheezy drive, libpoppler.so.5.0.0 and its softlink to libpoppler.so.5.

Then install libjpeg62, restart things and try a test page, it now works
for me.

Thanks for reading this far.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)