Re: can't install skype 4.3 on jessie

Am Sonntag, 11. Januar 2015, 17:01:18 schrieb David Zelinsky:
> Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:
> >> Thanks for the suggestion.  Assuming you mean this workaround (which you
> >> posted in August):
> >>
> >> - Install the 4.2 package.
> >> - start a hexeditor and open the file /usr/bin/skype
> >> - search for "4.2.0.11" and change this to "4.3.0.37"
> >> - save the file
> >> - restart skype and
> >> - voila! It is now connecting to the server again!
> >>
> >> I tried this, but Skype would still not connect.  Does it still work for
> >> you?  Maybe they've got wise to this and now check something else?  I
> >> also found a string "/contentbundle/linux-4.2.0.0-2374.bin" and changed
> >> "/contentbundle/linux-4.3.0.0-3390.bin", which is what I found in the
> >> 4.3 binary.  Still doesn't connect (:
> >>
> >> -David
> >
> > No, this one is no more active. Microsoft reacted some weeks after my
> > hack.
> > But you can do this:
> >
> > - Extract the skype binary from 4.3
> > - start it once, then connect to skype, but activate "autmatically
> > connection" (so that you do not unconnect from the server)
> > - now start skype-4.2 and you should be automatically reconnected.
> >

> > Whenever you get disconnected from skype, you can repeat this procdure.

Great!
> Thanks, that works!
>
> Just to clarify a couple things, in case others see this and had some of
> the same confusion I did at first:
>
> 1. The extracted skype-4.3 binary does run, but the sound does not work
> since the audio dependencies weren't installed.

Yes, just because you need pulseaudio. As many people got problems with
pulseaudio (including myself), I don't want to install pulseaudio. Alsa is
working great, so why change?

> 2. By "activate automatically connect", you meant to check the box
> labeled "Sign me in when Skype starts" on the login page.

Yes, doing so, you keep the login keys in your home directory. If you
disconnect, they are deleted and at next connect newly created. But this works
only with 4.3. When you keep them, skype-4.2 uses them.

> So now I have skype-4.2 working again!  However, I would still like to
> know how to fix the problem installing libmp3lame0:i386, on which
> skype-4.3 depends (by way of libasound2-plugins:i386).

And pulseaudio! It is not only these two libs.

> -David

Best

Hans