Re: How can g++ (stable) be incompatible with a fresh stable install?

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>     libc6-dev:
>>       Installed: (none)
>>       Candidate: 2.13-38+deb7u4
>>       Version table:
>>          2.19-13 0
>>             750 http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
>>             750 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
>>              50 http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
>>              50 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
>>          2.13-38+deb7u6 0
>>             995 http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
>>             995 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
>>          2.13-38+deb7u4 0
>>            1000 http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates/main amd64 Packages
>
> Your priorities for the different versions seem off. Security should
> have to same priority as stable, not a higher one.
>
> And security should not need a higher priority, because security updates
> (not already included via point-release) will always have a higher
> version than the non-security package from the normal repository.

OK, I thought I understood what was going on, but it turns out that
I'm more baffled than ever.  (E.g. I don't understand why I'm given
the *option* of setting a priority for security when in fact, if I
understand you correctly, there's only one sensible setting for it,
namely "identical to stable"...)

> Please post the content of /etc/apt/preferences and any file in
> /etc/apt/preferences.d

As I mentioned in my original post, my configs for
/etc/apt/{sources.list,preferences}.d are based on those given here
http://serverfault.com/a/382101.  It may have been unwise of me to
follow those recommendations, but they are the best (actually, the
only) ones I was able to find when I searched for apt configuration
"best practices".  (I will resume my search now, of course.)

As far as /etc/apt/preferences.d goes, my configs are exactly as
suggested in that post.  Specifically:

    (no /etc/apt/preferences file)

    ==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/security.pref <==
    Package: *
    Pin: release l=Debian-Security
    Pin-Priority: 1000

    ==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/stable.pref <==
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=stable
    Pin-Priority: 995

    ==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/testing.pref <==
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 750

    ==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/unstable.pref <==
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 50

    ==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/experimental.pref <==
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=experimental
    Pin-Priority: 1

Thank you for your comments.  I much appreciate them.

kj