Re: Please stop systemd-fsck on _every_ boot!

On 01/07/2015 at 08:39 AM, ~Stack~ wrote:

> On 01/07/2015 03:10 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>> On 01/06/2015 07:23 PM, ~Stack~ wrote:
>>
>>> I keep seeing all of these posts online saying how easy it is to
>>> disable systemd from runing fsck because it "honors" the '0' in
>>> the sixth field of /etc/fstab. Well that's just pure bull$h1t...
>>> That was one of the first things I tried some time ago. As far as
>>> I can tell on neither of my Jessie machines (one physical one
>>> virtual) does systemd honor the fstab in terms of doing a fsck.
>>> All of the partitions are set to 0 in /etc/fstab.
>>
>> That doesn't make it "bullshit", it means that in your instance it
>> doesn't help. Instead, just maybe your system is trying to tell
>> you something when it continually forces fsck. Read the man page.
>
> You are right in that there is something probably wrong with my
> instance and it might be trying to tell me something. However, I
> *have* read the man page and the man page for fstab says "If the
> sixth field is  not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and
> fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked."
> Therefore, I am explicitly telling systemd-fsck to buggeroff and not
> check. I as the owner of the device have acknowledged and assumed all
> the risk for not running fsck on my drive. The fact that it is
> /still/ doing it against my wishes is what annoys me.

According to my understanding, this field is not in fact a global
boot-time-fsck override, which you seem to be expecting it to be.

There are actually (at least) two ways in which fsck can be triggered at
boot time: by the automatic iterate-through-the-fstab is-a-fsck-needed
procedure, which reads and respects this field (because it's iterating
through fstab anyway), and in response to a failed mount attempt, which
I believe ignores this field (because the fsck was invoked in a way
which has nothing to do with fstab - just as would happen if you invoked
fsck manually).

To my eye, based on what you've reported, it does look as if the reason
your system is running fsck on every boot is that something about a
mount attempt is failing. However, aside from "probably to do with the
swap partition", I have no clue what that something is - or how to
figure out more, beyond what you already seem to know to try.

--
   The Wanderer