developing on open source, apt

Hello list,

Bear with me, this is a Debian question indeed.
I would like to help with LXQt development and have a question about how
to best go about this on Debian.

As a general question:
Should I clone the git repo, build the programs and run them, or is
there a way to actively develop without circumventing apt?

Since I will develop on the application and test every change I made to
me it seems easiest to just do it like that. Wihtout building .deb for
every test version I created. However I am not sure if this is the best way.

Also LXQt comes with several libs, some of them being shipped in their
repo, so I have the decision to take those, or the versions offerend by apt.

I hope you can help me.

--
Michael