Re: upgrade from wheezy to jessie

On Tue 06 Jan 2015 at 13:48:10 +0100, Gerard ROBIN wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 01:27:35PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> >
> > My advice would be to go with the minimum effort upgrade, as you would
> > have done in the past. I've been running Jessie in a KVM client for
> > several months now, with zero problems.
>
> I agree with you regarding jessie, I installed it on a USB drive and
> it works fine with systend, but but what concerns me is the transition
> from sysvinit to systemd on wheezy. If I understand what I read on the
> web (in English ...) it may be that my machine will not boot if I do
> not do the job well.

The sysvinit package is on a Wheezy system. It will be upgraded to

  https://packages.debian.org/jessie/sysvinit

   This package depends on init, which is an essential package
   that pulls in the default init system. Starting with jessie,
   this will be systemd on Linux. It facilitates a smooth
   transition and provides a fallback SysV init binary which can be
   used to boot the system via the init=/lib/sysvinit/init kernel
   command line parameter in case the system fails to start after
   the switch to systemd.

The fallback SysV init binary has been thoughtfully provided to cater
for the situation you are concerned about.