Re: What happens when a bad package is in Debian stable?

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Peter Michaux wrote:
>> Suppose there a nice package has been in Debian stable for years. If a
>> new version is added to Debian stable and problems are discovered
>> after it is added, what happens to fix the problem?
>
> If problems are found after it has been released then file a bug
> report on it.  In dealing with the bug report judgement is applied by
> both the maintainer and the release team.
>
>> If the new version can be fixed? Is a fixed version added with a
>> higher number?
>
> Yes.  A fixed version of the package with a higher version number will
> created and uploaded to the repository.
>
>> What if the new version cannot be fixed? Is the new version of the
>> package simply removed? Is an even newer version added that actually
>> matches the previous working version until bad one can be fixed and
>> added again?
>
> Since a release has been made it cannot ever be removed from that
> release.  Once something is done it cannot be undone.  It may be
> removed in a later point release.  That will not remove it from your
> system however.
>
> These are hypothetical questions that have no answers in the
> vagueness.  Do you have an actual example?

I'm thinking particularly of a personal/company repository where
packages cannot be tested as well as they are in Debian before they
are declared "stable" and sent to production servers. It is more
likely for a company that a undetected problem makes it to production
and the first person to notice is a customer. How does the company
react in such a case so that customers are happy?

Peter