Re: What happens when a bad package is in Debian stable?

Peter Michaux:

> Suppose there a nice package has been in Debian stable for years. If a
> new version is added to Debian stable and problems are discovered
> after it is added, what happens to fix the problem?

The Debian release cycle does not work that way. Stable does not receive
new versions, except for security patches and fixes for important
problems in point releases. These updates are usually very small in
order to minimize the risk of regressions. If an update still introduces
a regression, there is a new update that fixes this regression. One
example: DSA 3074-1 and DSA 3074-2.

In some cases the security team decides to either drop a package
altogether or follow a version that is still maintained upstream (DSA
3064-1 for php5 and DSA 3050-1 for iceweasel).

J.
--
I remember Donny Cooper dying live on TV,
[Agree]   [Disagree]