Re: How to undo Java installation and settings

On 01/03/2015 08:31 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 01/03/2015 03:06 AM, Dalios wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> a few days ago I had to install Java in a laptop in order for a web
>> application to be able to function properly. I followed directions
>> found in the internet (mostly the debian wiki and the Adobe
>> download page).
>
> It would have been far easier to use synaptic, then check the java
> packages that you wanted and let it install them. A couple of minutes
> later and you would have been done.
>
>   Now I want to uninstall Java and undo all settings
>> to go were I was before all this got started.
>
> It would have been just as easy to uninstall the packages with synaptic.
> But, since you opted to do all of those alternatives links by hand,
> you'll have to delete them yourself. What webpage provided these
> instructions? :) Ric

According to the info I found on the Debian wiki the package is not
there to be installed with Synaptic: "Sun Java is no longer available in
the repositories" (wiki.debian.org/Java/Sun).

I can't find the how-to that I followed to do the installation (when I
wrote the first mail this morning I thought that it was from the Debian
wiki but since I can't find it I assume that it is from a Debian user
forum or from a Debian derivative forum or something similar).

Anyway I purged the packages that were installed and I removed the
(symbolic) links that were created with the ln command.

But there are some commands that I don't know how to "undo" and if it is
even necessary. These commands are:

--------8<---------------------8<----------------------8<------------

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
/opt/jdk1.8.0_25/bin/java 1

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac
/opt/jdk1.8.0_25/bin/javac 1

update-alternatives --install /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
mozilla-javaplugin.so /opt/jdk1.8.0_25/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

update-alternatives --install /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
mozilla-javaplugin.so /opt/jdk1.8.0_25/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so 1

update-alternatives --set java /opt/jdk1.8.0_25/bin/java

update-alternatives --set javac /opt/jdk1.8.0_25/bin/javac

update-alternatives --set javac /opt/jdk1.8.0_25/bin/javac

update-alternatives --set mozilla-javaplugin.so
/opt/jdk1.8.0_25/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

I am wondering if I should just uninstall every package with java or jre
in its name and then just re-install one of the open-jdk or icedtea
packages and let apt do its magic...

Regards,
Dalios