Re: Any advice for a user about to use LVM for the first time?

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> There's one remaining question I have, which is fortunately not urgent.
> It's not clear what I'm going to have to do to bring the RAID online after
> a reboot.  It doesn't seem to be as simple as tweaking /etc/fstab, like it
> is on bare drives.  I suppose I can do an assemble operation manually each
> time.  Is there a best practice for making this automatic?

If you install a system using the debian-installer then it will set
everything up for you automatically.  For people installing a pristine
system with raid it is all automatic and nothing more needs to be
done.  For people adding additional mdadm raid volumes later they need
to do some configuration for it.

This is exactly my case.  I'm installing a RAID-0 for gigantic transient files.
I do not anticipate using RAID for the system, partly because all bays are
full.

Mdadm has two different times when it will assemble raid volumes.  In
reverse time order the second is at boot time by looking at
/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file and assembling all raids configured there.
That data can be created using mdadm --scan to search for physical
devices and to produce the config files.  Take that information and
edit it as needed.

Question: what is it that does this assembly at boot time?  Is there a daemon
that's running now that I've installed mdadm?

Typically, note the append >> operator:

  mdadm --detail --scan >>/dev/mdadm/mdadm.conf
  ...edit /dev/mdadm/mdadm.conf...clean up and remove duplicate lines...

The debian-installer formats the lines slightly differently than mdadm
output does.  I don't know if the differences are really significant.
I usually edit to follow the original debian-installer format.

I might do the same, but you give no hint what that looks like, and I am not
installing a new system to find out.

The important part is that the arrays are listed with the device and
with the UUID of the array.  That will instruct mdadm to assemble
those arrays when mdadm is started at system boot time.

Hoping format is not too crucial....

[ ... snippage -- stuff about initramfs ]

Bob

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */